AeroShell Turbine Oil 390 is a 3 mm2/s synthetic diester oil incorporating a carefully selected and balanced combination of additives to improve thermal and oxidation stability and to increase the load carrying ability of the base oil.
- AeroShell Turbine Oil 390 was developed primarily as an improved 3 mm2/s oil for British turbo-jet engines.
- AeroShell Turbine Oil 390 is fully approved for a wide range of turbine engines.
- More recently, because of the low temperature characteristics of AeroShell Turbine Oil 390, there is interest in using this oil in auxiliary power units (APU) in order to overcome the effects of cold soak.
- Normal practice is to shut down the APU during cruise, the APU then experiences cold soak, often prolonged, and when the unit is started
- There is considerable difficulty resulting in the unit not coming up to speed in the given time, thus causing a hung start.